Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 Fit Mommy Approved Recipes that Pack a Nutritional Punch

Busy schedules mean easy meals to avoid hitting the candy dish at work or grabbing sugar/processed packed "energy" bars.  I wanted to offer up some recipes that pack a serious nutritional punch, are tasty, can be made in advance and are great breakfast options.  I have to pack all of my breakfast/lunch/snacks into a bag @ 5:30(am) so this takes a little advance planning to grab and go, but it is worth it.

Coconut Packed Shake - I blend and freeze this the night before and then take it out of the freezer in the morning.  I drink it as it thaws over the course of the morning.  It's super filling and tastes good.  No sugar added and the 1/2 frozen barely ripe banana kills the taste of the spinach and kale for those of you who are not fans of "green" drinks. 
- 4 ounces water
- 8 ounces unsweetned coconut milk
- 2 tsp coconut butter (I love Artisana brand)
- 2 T shredded coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 1/2 frozen banana - just barely ripe (I peel a few of them and freeze them in a ziploc bag)
- 1 tsp Maca Root Powder - I really like MacaForce
- 2 tsp Spirulina
- 1 tsp Chlorella
- 2 tsp fresh ground almond butter.  I like grounding it myself at Whole Foods, if the machine is down (which happens sometimes) grab Artisana brand - there is nothing added and it is tasty
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup kale

Frittatta sans the Potatoes
- sliced yellow squash
- sliced zucchini
- finely chopped kale
- loose baby spinach
- shallots
- bacon fat (gives this a smokey taste, but you can use coconut oil or ghee)
- fresh salsa
- tumeric
- paprika
- cayenne
- pinch of celtic salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- garlic
- eggs (whites)

I put ghee, bacon fat or coconut oil to soften the shallots and garlic.  They I lay down pieces of squash and zucchini so they cover the entire pan and then just add kale and spinach.  I put a top on and let everything cook a bit (about 5 minutes or so) - then I add the salsa and egg whites (I have sensitivities to egg yolks, but you could add one yolk and a few whites for the added nutrition) and seasoning and then I cover and let it cook on medium low heat until it is relatively firm.  I use a pizza slicer to cut into 4 sections and then I turn it over to firm up the other side.

I pair this with mixed greens or kale salad and raw vegetables and it is really yummy.  Each one is about 2 servings, make two and you have lunch for most of the week.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment